THANK YOU - it's DONE!
NYSEG thanks the City, merchants and residents for your
patience, understanding and cooperation during this project.
Click here to view weekly schedule.
Canandaigua Main Street Natural Gas Mains Replacement
NYSEG’s top priority is to provide safe, reliable service to our customers. To that end, we diligently maintain and invest in our electricity and natural gas delivery systems.
One of our 2011 investment projects is replacing 2,321 feet (0.43 miles) of cast iron natural gas main and 50 natural gas services along South Main Street in the City of Canandaigua. This is the last cast iron pipe left in the 7,969 mile NYSEG natural gas distribution system.
We worked closely with City officials, local business owners, residents and the New York State Department of Transportation to plan this project.
NYSEG will make every effort to minimize the inconvenience to residents, businesses, business patrons and motorists during construction by limiting the work zone to approximately one block at a time and conducting much of the work at night.
We will maintain open lines of communication with all of the stakeholders in this project,
and promise to inform affected customers, business owners and residents in advance regarding construction activities that may temporarily limit access to buildings.
We hope you find this website informative.
Scope of Work
Larger trees will be cut down and stumps removed. Some smaller trees will be moved by the City and saved for later planting.
Gas Main Installation:
(This work will take place from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Friday)
- New 1,027 foot section of 6” diameter main on east side of Main Street.
- New 1,294 foot section of 6” diameter main on west side of Main Street.
- Existing sidewalk sections will be moved intact, ground excavated, plastic gas main will be installed, trenches backfilled and compacted, sidewalk sections replaced.
New Service Connections:
(This work will take place from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday)
- Approximately 50 new service connections will be made from the mains into the basements of buildings.
- All sidewalk sections will be reinstalled.
- Any cuts in roadways will be repaved.
- Any dirt areas will be resodded with turf.
Estimated Project Duration
- End of March to end of June.
- Click here to view weekly schedule
- Gas main installation: Monday through Friday, 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Service installation: Monday through Friday, 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- To minimize business disruption, NO work on weekends.
for photo updates of this project on Flickr.
- Project questions:
- All other questions, contact us here.